Below is an outline of our Independent Study Policy.
Well-organised independent study at home or in school plays a vital role in raising standards of achievement and developing life-long learning skills. It should be an integral part of the curriculum, planned and prepared within step and module work plans.
Expectations of students
- Record tasks and completion date within the Student Logbook.
- Develop strategies with the Base Group Tutor and class teacher to ensure the successful completion of independent tasks on time and review progress.
- Present all work to a high standard.
- Take an increasing responsibility in the planning and setting of appropriate independent study tasks.
Expectations of teachers
- Set appropriate, challenging tasks according to the policy which can be accessed by all students.
- Develop the skills of students to plan their learning at home or in study time.
- Check that tasks are completed and follow up any non-completion.
- Liaise with the Base Group Tutor if a pattern of non-completion exists.
- Feedback, assess and reward the quality of independent study.
Lower College expectations
- English, Maths and Science set a 30-45 minute homework task every week.
- All other subjects set a homework task once a fortnight for 30-45 minutes.
- Minimum of one week for students to complete, unless it is a collection, research or reading activity to support the next lesson.
- Portal or ICT-based work will be supported by break/lunchtime access or paper resources which are made available by the class teacher.
Upper College expectations
- The equivalent to one hour a week all subjects; reading is extra and not included in the one hour a week for English.
- Minimum of one week completion unless it is a collection, research or reading activity to support the next lesson.
- Portal or ICT-based tasks will be supported by break/lunchtime access or paper resources which are made available by the class teacher.
Post-16 College expectations
- There will be an equal amount of independent study to lesson and workshop time.
- For Year 12, students should complete five hours of independent study per subject per week and this includes homework set by subjects.
- For Year 13, students should increase to nine hours of independent study per subject per week, including any homework set by subjects.
- Portal or ICT-based tasks are supported by access to ICT facilities during independent study time.